- Common Name(s):
Peonies grow well in the mountains and cooler Piedmont, but languish because of lack of chilling requirement in warm areas. Plant low chill types, such as 'Edulis Superba', 'Felix Crousse','Festiva Maxima', 'Mons. Jules Elie' and 'Sarah Bernhardt' on cool, north facing slopes. Very large, fragrant flowers.
Insects, Diseases, and Other Plant Problems: Good air circulation discourages fungal diseases.
- Spring to early summer
- 36 in.
- Flower Color:
- Red, pink, white, pastels
- USDA Hardiness Zone 3-7
- Division in late summer, plant in fall
- Full sun to partial shade
- Well-drained, deep, slightly acidic soil
- Mountains, Piedmont
- China, Siberia, hybrid origin
NCCES plant id: 755