Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii'
- Common Name(s):
- Burford holly
- Burfordii Nana (compact form)
Drought and heat tolerant; use as a small tree or hedge;
Wildlife Value: Fruits are attractive to birds. Flowers attract bees. Members of the genus Ilex support the following specialized bee: Colletes banksi. This plant is resistant to damage by deer.
- 8-20 ft.
- Alternate, simple, olive-green leaves; 2-3 in. long; small, single terminal spine; margins are usually smooth
- Small, dull white flowers in spring; 0.2-0.3 in. bright to dull red berries in clusters of 3-8; heavy production without pollination; persist into winter
- 7 to 9
- Sun to light shade; range of soil types
- Upright, dense rounded, spreading shrub
- 5-10 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1582