- Common Name(s):
- Purple beautyberry
- 'Early Amethyst', 'Issai', 'Albifructus' - white berries
Best of the Callicarpa spp.; drought tolerant; berries attract birds; cut back severely each year for best berry production (flowers on new growth); avoid excessive fertilizer; arching branches; C. dichotoma 'Albifructus' has white berries.
Play Value: Wildlife Enhancement
Wildlife Value: This plant is seldom damaged by deer.
- 3-4 ft.
- Opposite, simple, bright medium green leaves borne on one plane; 1-3 in. long; light pubescence below
- 0.7-inch, pinkish lavender berries borne above the leaves, late summer to fall
- 5 to 8
- Sun to partial shade; dry to moist soil; best fruit production in full sun and moist soil
- Long, slender, arching branches; more dense than other beautyberries
- 4-5 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1444