- Common Name(s):
- Norway maple
Shallow roots make it difficult to grow plants underneath; easy to transplant; tolerates air pollution and city conditions; sensitive to 2 4-D herbicide; there are plant improved cultivars. Learn more about "Acer platanoides 'Stand Fast'"
Play Value: Wildlife Enhancement
- 40-50 ft. but can reach 90 ft.
- Species is dioecious; bright yellow-green in color and somewhat showy, appearing in the spring before the leaves. Fruit- Widely divergent 2-winged samaras, 1 1/2 to 2 inches long in clusters, relatively flat seed cavity, mature in late summer and persist into the winter.
- Sun; range of soil types (sand, clay); tolerates hot, dry conditions
- Medium to coarse
- Dense; rounded, symmetrical crown; broad spreading
- 30-45 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Opposite, simple, palmately-veined, 5 to 7 lobed with long pointed teeth", dark green above, paler below; exudes milky white sap from the petiole when detached. Yellow fall color.
NCCES plant id: 1890