- Common Name(s):
- Hardy anise shrub, Small anise tree
Suckers to form colonies; drought tolerant; native to lower southeastern US; most hardy Illicum spp. This plant is particularly resistant to damage by deer.
- 7-14 ft.
- Alternate, simple olive-green leaves; 2-4 in. inches long; new foliage is soft yellow-green; fragrant leaves
- 0.5 in. yellow-green flowers in early summer; not fragrant
- 6 to 9
- Sun to partial shade; range of soil types: moist, dry, heavy clay
- Medium to coarse
- Upright, pyramidal shrub; suckers
- 8-10 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1598