- Common Name(s):
- Belgian begonias, Rex begonias, Tuberous begonias
- Rex begonias, Belgian begonias
- Annuals, Summer Bulbs
This annual can be planted outdoors in mild climates. Showy leaves can be 6" long with tapered ends and toothed edges. Showy blooms range in color from pink, red, yellow and white and can be found in doubles.
'Rex begonias' are one of the most stunning, colorful houseplants. The blooms on 'Rex begonias' are not very showy so they are often pinched off to encourage leaf growth. Needs bright indirect light year round and humid conditions though direct misting of the foliage encourages powdery mildew. They need consistant water, but do not tolarate over watering. They can tolerate less light than other begonias and will do well under flourecents. Propagates easily by divsion through its knobby rhizomatous roots.
- Summer to fall
- AM sun to 50% shade
- Red, yellow, white, pink, bicolors
- 12-18 in. (30-45 cm)
- 9-12 in. (22-30 cm)
- Cover 2 in. (5 cm)
- Enlarged hypocotyl
- Tender III- injured below 25 degrees F (2 degrees C)
- Harvest enlarged hypocotyls in fall, dry, store in dry peat at 35-41 degrees F (2-5 degrees C)
NCCES plant id: 865