This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- Evergreen or deciduous trees; leaves alternate and simple, variously shaped in different species; pollen flowers in drooping, elongated clusters; fruit an acorn.
- USA, NC, Eurasia
- Throughout and cultivated
- Poison Part:
- Acorns (seeds of nuts) and young leaves.
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Stomach pain, constipation and later bloody diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination
- EDIBLE PARTS: Acorns (nuts) are edible after tannins are leached or boiled out. HARVEST TIME: Only collect nutsfrom areas you kn
- Toxic Principle:
- Gallotannins, quercitrin, and quercitin.
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Forest or natural areas; landscape as ornamental and shade trees.
NCCES plant id: 1140