- Common Name(s):
- Foxglove beardtongue, White beardtongue
- Husker Red
- Native Plants, Wildflowers
Wildlife Value: Attracts hummingbirds and bees. Members of the genus Penstemon support the following specialized bee: Osmia (Melanosmia) distincta.
- Late spring into early summer
- 2-4 ft.
- Smooth stems; opposite, lance-shaped to oblong, finely toothed leaves; basal leaves are elliptical
- 1 in. white or purple-tinged trumpet-shaped flowers in a terminal cluster; flower tube is abruptly swollen in the middle
- Sun, well-drained soil; fields, open woods, roadsides fields
- Life Cycle:
NCCES plant id: 2680