- Common Name(s):
- Deciduous Holly hybrids
- 'Sparkleberry' upright, persistent scarlet berries, 'Apollo' 12 ft. male, 'Bonfire' 10 ft., red berries in large clusters, 'Carolina Cardinal' compact, crimson berries, a JC Raulston Arboretum Selection
Deciduous shrubs in the Aquifoliaceae family. Cultivars listed are crosses between Ilex vericillata and Ilex serrata.
Wildlife Value: Flowers attract bees and blue black fruits are enjoyed by birds. Members of the genus Ilex support the following specialized bee: Colletes banksi. This plant is resistant to damage by deer.
- 6-12 ft.
- Small, white flowers in spring; prolific berry production; colors early season
- Sun; moist, well-drained soil
- Varies with cultivar; upright habit
- 8-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Alternate, simple leaves; new growth is plum purple
NCCES plant id: 2013