- Common Name(s):
- Cleyera, False Japanese Cleyera
Salt spray tolerant - hence excellent for NC coastal areas; often sold as Cleyera japonica; can be severely pruned; moderate growth rate
- 8-10 ft.
- Alternate, simple, leathery, lustrous, dark green leaves; 2.5-4 in. long; new growth is bronze, reddish purple to red; reddish bronze winter color when grown in sun
- Cluster of 0.5 in. white to yellowish white flowers on previous season's growth; 1 in. green to red speckled fruit in fall
- 7 to 9
- Sun to partial shade; prefers moist, well-drained soil; may winter burn in full sun; does not tolerate poorly drained soils
- Upright oval to rounded; densely branched, billowing
- 5-6 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1809