This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- Deciduous tree; leaves alternate, simple, toothed on the margin, with 2 small glands at base of blade; flowers usually solitary, 5-parted, white or pinkish; fruit fleshy with a large pit (stone), yellow or reddish
- Poison Part:
- Wilted leaves, twigs (stems), seeds; laetrile from the seeds is a dangerous, controversial treatment for cancer
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Gasping, weakness, excitement, pupil dilation, spasms, convulsions, coma, respiratory failure
- EDIBLE PARTS: Fruit edible raw, dried, or cooked
- Toxic Principle:
- Cyanogenic glycoside, amygdalin
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Landscape in fruit garden, cultivated tree
NCCES plant id: 1133