- Common Name(s):
- Chameleon plant, Rainbow plant
- 'Plena', 'Chameleon', 'Variegata’
- Groundcover, Water Garden
Spreads by rhizomes; space plants 8 to 10 inches apart; not drought tolerant; creeping habit; prefers moist soil to shallow water (1-2 in.); full sun; plant in 1 to 2 gallon container; can be invasive
- 6-20 in.
- Broad, simple, alternate, heart-shaped leaves, 2-3 inches long, bluish green to deep green or multicolored, with red edges on red stems; pungent, diesel oil smell when crushed. After a hard freeze, foliage and stems die back to the ground.
- Small white flowers in early summer
- Sun to light shade; range of soil types provided they are moist to wet. Due to it's aggressive growth habit, plant in a container, or an area bounded by sidewalk or driveway.
- 12-15 in.
- Growth Rate:
- Moderate to rapid
NCCES plant id: 297