This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Cycad, sago palm
- Poisonous Plants
Cycas revoluta is moderately salt tolerant.
- Evergreen, palm-like; leaves 1-pinnately divided, glossy green, the leaflets narrow, with a sunken midrib and the margins rolled downward; pollen cone large and erect; the seeds on loosely arranged leaves around the stem, each seed large, plum-like, pale yellow-tan
- Poison Part:
- Fleshy seeds, leaves, unprocessed flour from stem pith
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, seizures
- Processed flour
- Toxic Principle:
- Glycosides and an amino acid BMAA
- TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN.
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape; landscape as cultivated perennial in warm, coastal areas, as container plant in cool areas
NCCES plant id: 1016