- Phonetic Spelling
- ee-PISH-ee-ah kew-pree-AH-tuh
This herbaceous perennial from the Gesneriaceae family is commonly grown as a houseplant. It needs lots of bright, indirect light and well-drained potting soil. They are very attractive in hanging baskets and have a creeping habit. Water moderately to keep the soil moist in the summer and seldom in the winter. They need high humidity but do not tolerate water on their leaves.
Insects, Diseases, and Other Plant Problems: Insect pests include aphids, mealybugs. Fungal leafspots, stem blights, and root rots occasionally occur. Leaves scorch in full direct sun; dieback occurs if too much water or too little air circulation, leaf margins turn brown from low humidity and too dry conditions
Quick ID Hints:
- Flowers are solitary, red to orange, funnel-shaped
- Stems are creeping, stoloniferous, hirsute
- Leaves are decussate, with pale midribs & purple undersides
Evergreen subtropical herb to 10 cm, creeping and stoloniferous.
Desired for its variegated leaves and bright carotenoid flowers; distinguished from Saintpaulia by the formation of stolons and the decussate leaf arrangement; used as desk top plant, hanging baskets and ground covers in interiorscapes.
Prefers interior settings with medium light, moist soil and medium to high relative humidity; intolerant of constant cold drafts or dry air; Pest/disease problems.
- See this plant in the following landscape:
- Cultivars / Varieties:
- Cultivars / Varieties:
- Life Cycle:
- Country Or Region Of Origin:
- Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil
- Height: 0 ft. 6 in. - 1 ft. 0 in.
- Width: 1 ft. 0 in. - 2 ft. 0 in.
Whole Plant Traits:
- Plant Type:
- Ground Cover
- Deep shade (Less than 2 hours to no direct sunlight)
- Partial Shade (Direct sunlight only part of the day, 2-6 hours)
- Soil Drainage:
- Good Drainage
- Available Space To Plant:
- Less than 12 inches
- 12 inches-3 feet
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone:
- 10b, 10a, 11b, 11a, 12b, 12a
- Flower Color:
- Flower Value To Gardener:
- Flower Description:
- Crimson red to orange with yellow throat, blooms seasonally. olitary, red to orange, to 6 cm long; corolla salverform, villous, Spurred at base, 5-lobed, with yellow ring at throat.
- Leaf Color:
- Leaf Type:
- Leaf Arrangement:
- Leaf Shape:
- Hairs Present:
- Leaf Description:
- Oval green, with undersides flecked with copper and purple. Opposite, simple, decussate, ovate, acute, cordate to rotund, slightly bullate, dark green with paler midrib, purple underneath.
- Stem Is Aromatic:
- Stem Description:
- Stolons hirsute, to 19.5", readily rooting.
- Landscape Location:
- Hanging Baskets
- Resistance To Challenges: