Plant DetailShow Menu

Dieffenbachia amoena

Common Name(s):

  • Dumbcane
  • Giant Dumbcane
This plant has medium severity poison characteristics
See below
Description

Dieffenbachia amoena is a popular monocot used as a houseplant. It prefers high humidity, so do not place in front of a fan or air conditioner. After watering, the leaves become turgid and can be brittle, so hold off on watering for a few days if transportation is necessary as to not damage the leaves. They tolerate any light conditions except direct sunlight which will burn the leaves.

This plant is poisonous and should not be permitted near children or pets (cats & dogs).

Cultivars:
Tags:
#poisonous#houseplant#green#large leaves#humidity
Cultivars:
Tags:
#poisonous#houseplant#green#large leaves#humidity
  • Attributes:
    Genus:
    Dieffenbachi
    Species:
    amoena
    Family:
    Araceae
    Particularly Resistant To (Insects/Diseases/Other Problems):
    high humidity
  • Whole Plant Traits:
    Plant Type:
    Poisonous
    Tree
  • Cultural Conditions:
    Light:
    Dappled Sunlight (Shade through upper canopy all day)
    Deep Shade (No direct sunlight)
    Partial Shade (Direct sunlight (2-4 hrs) for only part of the day
  • Flowers:
    Flower Color:
    Green
    Insignificant
    Flower Description:
    Remove flower buds as they are a waste of the plant's energy.
  • Leaves:
    Leaf Color:
    Cream/Tan
    Green
    Variegated
    White
    Leaf Value To Gardener:
    Showy
    Leaf Shape:
    Oblong
    Hairs Present:
    No
    Leaf Length:
    > 6 inches
    Leaf Width:
    3-6 inches
    Leaf Description:
    Its leaves are large (up to 20 inches), oblong, with cream, or yellow dots and stripes with deep green stripes and bands around the outer edge.
  • Stem:
    Stem Color:
    Green
    Stem Is Aromatic:
    No
  • Landscape:
    Landscape Location:
    Houseplants
    Problems:
    Poisonous
    Problem for Cats
    Problem for Children
    Problem for Dogs
  • Poison:
    Poison Severity:
    Medium
    Poison Symptoms:
    The sap of the plant is acrid, and, when ingested, will numb the throat and vocal cords, rendering the victim mute for up to two weeks until the poison wears off. The sap is highly irritating to the skin, and any interactions with the plant which result in sap exposure should be washed thoroughly.
    Poison Toxic Principle:
    sap of the plant is acrid
    Causes Contact Dermatitis:
    Yes
    Poison Part:
    Leaves