This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Sweet cherry
- Poisonous Plants
- Deciduous tree; leaves alternate, simple, toothed on the margin, with 2 small glands at base of blade; flowers 1-few in a rounded cluster, 5-parted, white; fruit fleshy, yellow or red, with a large pit (stone)
- Poison Part:
- Wilted leaves, twigs (stems), seeds
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Gasping, weakness, excitement, pupil dilation, spasms, convulsions, coma, respiratory failure
- EDIBLE PARTS: Fruit edible raw or cooked.
- Toxic Principle:
- Cyanogenic glycoside, amygdalin
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Landscape as cultivated tree, rarely escaping and naturalizing
NCCES plant id: 1134