Plant DetailShow Menu

Chlorophyllum molybdites

Phonetic Spelling
klor-oh-FY-lum MOH-lib-dyts
This plant has high severity poison characteristics.
See below
Description

This plant is located in forests or natural areas as well as landscape areas. They can be seen forming small or large groups or fairy rings in lawns or other grassy areas, but do not be taken in by their fairy appearance as these plants can be very harmful.

Fruiting bodies may attain 12 in. in diameter and 6 in. in height. They are frequently mistaken in its immature stage for the meadow mushroom, which grows in a similar habitat. It is the only large mushroom with a green spore print.

Cap is initially smooth and dry, breaking up into light brown patches or scales on a white background. The gills are white at first, becoming greenish-gray and not attached to the stalk but close. The stalk is smooth, white or a whitish-brown. The annulus is large, persistent, becoming double-edged, white on the top and brown beneath, moveable, but located near the top of the stalk. 

Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#lawn#forest#mushroom#poisonous mushroom#United States#grassy areas#rings#poisonous mushrooms#woodland#naturalizes
 
Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#lawn#forest#mushroom#poisonous mushroom#United States#grassy areas#rings#poisonous mushrooms#woodland#naturalizes
  • Attributes:
    Genus:
    Chlorophyllum
    Species:
    molybdites
    Family:
    Agaricaceae
    Country Or Region Of Origin:
    North Carolina, United States
    Distribution:
    Throughout NC but more common in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain
  • Whole Plant Traits:
    Plant Type:
    Mushroom
    Poisonous
  • Leaves:
    Hairs Present:
    No
  • Stem:
    Stem Color:
    Brown/Copper
    White
    Stem Is Aromatic:
    No
    Stem Description:
    The stalk is smooth white or whitish-brown
  • Landscape:
    Problems:
    Poisonous to Humans
    Problem for Children
  • Poisonous to Humans:
    Poison Severity:
    High
    Poison Symptoms:
    HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN! Poisonous if ingested. Poisonous part is the whole mushroom. Symptoms: Occur usually 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating and include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps, weakness and sweating.
    Poison Toxic Principle:
    Unknown
    Causes Contact Dermatitis:
    No
    Poison Part:
    Fruits