- Common Name(s):
- Chinese chestnut
- Castanea mollissima 'Nanking', Castanea mollissima 'Meiling', Castanea mollissima 'Kuling', Castanea mollissima 'Abundance', Castanea mollissima 'Crane'
- Edible Plants, Trees
This big tree can reach a height and spread of about 40 feet. It braches close to the ground makes it a good landscape tree. The smell of the flower might be offensive to some people. The nut is edible, attracts wild life, but needs to be cautious because it is spiny. It is resistant to chestnut blight.
Play Value: Wildlife Enhancement
- 35-40 ft.
- The flower is creamy and showy.
- Full sun. Well-drained soil.
- Symmetrical and round crown
- The oval, round shaped nut ranges from 1-3 inches in length. The nut is crisp, meaty and sweet, though not as sweet as American chestnuts. It is good for fresh-eating, roasting, boiling and baking. Ripens in mid or lat September through October.
- 40-50 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- The oblong, lanceolate simple leaf has an alternate arrangement. It has a showy yellow/copper color in the fall.
NCCES plant id: 2970