Amanita polypyramis Amanita polypyramis
- Many Warts
- Phonetic Spelling
- am-ah-NEE-tah poh-lee-pih-RAY-mis
This species is one of several of the large, whitish Amanita species that have a strong chlorine odor. All are suspected to be toxic.
The cap is large, up to 8 inches in diameter, and is white covered with white, cottony scales. The gills are white, moderately close, and free from the stalk. The stalk is thick and greatly enlarged at base. The annulus (ring) is white, large, fragile, breaking away from the cap in large patches or adhering to the edge of the cap in large sections, and covered with scales on the underside. The spore print is white. There is a strong chlorine odor from fresh specimens.
Found in: Forest or natural area, landscape; singly, usually in mixed oak-pine woods
- Country Or Region Of Origin:
- USA, NC
- Throughout NC (chiefly in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain)
- NOT EDIBLE!
Whole Plant Traits:
- Plant Type:
- Hairs Present:
- Stem Is Aromatic:
- Poison Severity:
- Poison Symptoms:
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN! Poisonous through ingestion. (Poison part: mushroom). Symptoms: Apparently little has been documented on this specific species, but it is expected to produce symptoms similar to other Amanita species: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pains, etc. Symptoms occur 30 minutes to several hours after ingesting.
- Poison Toxic Principle:
- Causes Contact Dermatitis:
- Poison Part: