This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Water lettuce
- Poisonous Plants, Water Garden
Feathery roots; starves out algae by blocking light
- Floating aquatic; leaves spreading in a rosette on water surface, spongy, rounded, the main veins conspicuously indented above
- 10 in.
- 10 in. rosette of velvety lime green, deeply veined leaves; whitish green on the underside
- Inconspicuous white flowers
- Poison Part:
- All parts
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Intense burning and swelling of lips, tongue, and throat; nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also occur
- Toxic Principle:
- Calcium oxalate crystals plus unknown toxins
- TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN.
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape in aquaria; landscape in water gardens
NCCES plant id: 1125