This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Spider lily
- Poisonous Plants, Water Garden
Grow in shallow water; bulbous
- Herbaceous perennial from a bulb; leaves basal, strap-like; flowers fragrant, white or ivory, 6-parted, funnel-shaped, the 6 stamens connected at base with a thin white membrane.
- 24 in.
- Thick strap-like leaves
- Umbel of 3 to 6 white spider-like flowers; very fragrant
- Poison Part:
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Toxic Principle:
- Lycorine and other phenanthridine alkaloids
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape; forest or natural area in marshes, shallow streams, and ditches; landscape in flower gardens as herbaceous perennial
NCCES plant id: 2347