- Common Name(s):
- Japanese cedar, Japanese cryptomeria
- Elegans (15-20 ft.), Yoshino (30-50 ft.), Compacta (40 ft.), Elegans Aurea (15-20 ft.), Elegans Nana, Globosa Nana
Easy to grow; good screening tree; low growing cultivars available. This tree is resistant to damage by deer and is slightly salt tolerant. Learn more about "Cryptomeria japonica 'Globosa Nana'" and "Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans Nana'"
- 50-60 ft.
- Small, terminal cones
- Sun to light, high shade; rich, deep, well-drained soil but will thrive in a range of soil types
- Fine to medium
- Pyramidal; semiformal, tall, conical
- 25-30 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Awl-shaped; bright to blue-green foliage; smooth to the touch; bronze tones in winter, especially if exposed to wind; needles held close to twigs
NCCES plant id: 1976