Podocarpus macrophyllus , Podocarpus spp.
This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Podocarpus, Shrubby yew podocarpus.
- Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Particularly resistant to damage by deer.
- Evergreen shrub or tree; leaves alternate, simple, narrowly strap-like, dark green with lighter midrib; pollen cones yellowish and elongated; seed light blue, fleshy, with red, enlarged stalk; excellent for Coastal NC; not very hardy in Piedmont
- 8-10 ft.
- Pyramidal; branches upright
- Poison Part:
- Fleshy seeds (resemble fruits) eaten by children.
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Toxic Principle:
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape; landscape as cultivated ornamental woody shrub
- 4-5 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1127