- Common Name(s):
- Large fothergilla
- Native Plants, Shrubs, Trees
Red, orange, yellow fall foliage on each leaf; slow grower; rounded multistemmed shrub with erect stems; drought tolerant and tolerates wet soils; may occasionally sucker; native to mountainous regions of southeastern US; native; excellent fall color;
Wildilfe Value: This plant is seldom damaged by deer.
Play Value: Wildlife Enhancement
Compare this Plant to: Fothergilla gardenii
- 6-12 ft.
- Alternate, simple, leathery, blue-green to dark green leaves; underside grayish to whitish; 2-4 in. long; red, orange, yellow fall color on each leaf
- 1-3 in. bottlebrush-like spike of white flowers in spring; fragrance varies from none to honey-like
- Partial shade; moist to wet soils, well-drained to dry acidic
- Rounded multistemmed shrub with erect stems
- Partial shade; moist to dry soil
- 1 to 3 in. spike white flowers in spring; fragrance varies from none to honey-like
- 6-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Slow to moderate
- 2 to 4 in. alternate, simple leaves; red, orange, yellow fall color on each leaf
NCCES plant id: 480