This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Mescal bean
- Poisonous Plants
- Evergreen shrub or tree; leaves alternate, pinnately divided with 7-9 leaflets, notched, silky below; flowers pea-like, violet-blue, fragrant; fruit a woody pod with bright red seeds.
- Mexico and southwestern USA
- Poison Part:
- Seeds, often used in making necklaces
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Vomiting, diarrhea, excitement, delirium, and coma
- Toxic Principle:
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Plant not grown in North Carolina; seeds imported for making necklaces
NCCES plant id: 1168