This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Jerusalem cherry
- Perennials, Poisonous Plants
Perennial to zone 8, with somewhat poisonous fruit; may be grown as houseplant.
- Shrub with alternate, simple leaves; flowers 5-parted, white; fruit a bright orange-red (or rarely white or yellow) berry
- South America
- Poison Part:
- Berries, leaves
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Nausea, vomiting, salivation, drowsiness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weakness, respiratory depression
- Toxic Principle:
- Solanocapsine and other alkaloids
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape
NCCES plant id: 1165