This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Chinese lantern, Ground cherry, Jerusalem cherry, strawberry tomato
- Poisonous Plants
- Perennial herbs, often much branched and spreading at the top; leaves alternate, simple, smooth margined or irregularly toothed; flowers axillary, nodding, 5-parted, bell- or funnel-shaped, yellowish; fruit a globose yellow, red, purple, or blue-black berry surrounded by a papery sac.
- USA, NC, South America
- Poison Part:
- Unripe berries and leaves.
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Headache, stomach pain, lowered temperature, dilated pupils, vomiting, diarrhea, circulatory and respiratory depression, loss of sensation; may be fatal.
- EDIBLE PARTS: Ripe fruits edible and some used to make jelly, jams, preserves, sauces, or pies. HARVEST TIME: Only collect fruit
- Toxic Principle:
- Solanine and other solanidine alkaloids.
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Weedy in disturbed areas, naturalized; forest or natural area, in thin woodlands and sandy, open areas; landscape in vegetable g
NCCES plant id: 1121