This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- Herbaceous perennial; leaves simple, long-stalked, large, heart-shaped, prominently veined and sometimes variegated; flowers seldom seen, small, clustered on a spadix and surrounded by a modified leaf (the spathe)
- Poison Part:
- All parts
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Ingestion, dermatitis, eye injury
- Painful irritation of lips, mouth, tongue, and throat after chewing; difficulty of speaking; nausea and diarrhea, delirium, and death
- Toxic Principle:
- Needle-like, calcium oxalate crystals; possible proteins
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN! SKIN IRRITATION SEVERE!
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape; landscape, as cultivated summer ornamental
NCCES plant id: 951