- Common Name(s):
- Northern sea oats, River oats, Wild oats
- Native Plants, Ornamental Grass
Medium green leaves turn golden in fall; reseeds in moist gardens; spreads by rhizomes and seeds. This plant is highly resistant to deer grazing.
- Sun or shade; grows well in dry shade
- 3-5 ft.
- Clump; upright to narrow arching- lax in shade; coarse texture
- Tolerates poor soil and heat; prefers rich, moist soil; moderate drought tolerance
- Open panicles of flattened oats dangling from stem tips in summer; light green spikelets become red bronze in fall; salmon buff in winter; good for fresh or dry arrangements
NCCES plant id: 597