Plant DetailShow Menu

Omphalotus olearius

Common Name(s):

Previously known as:

  • Clitocybe illudens
Phonetic Spelling
om-fah-LOW-tus oh-LAIR-ee-us
This plant has high severity poison characteristics.
See below
Description

This mushroom is quite noticeable due to its color, size and occurrence in clusters near trees or stumps. It is most commonly found in forest or natural areas, sometimes in landscapes. It appears in clusters of up to 15-20 mushrooms usually at the base of a living oak or from stumps or buried wood (roots), occasionally on other deciduous trees. It is bioluminescent.  The native North American species of this mushroom is O. illudens

Quick ID:

  • Cap: Orange to yellow-orange, up to 4 inches in diameter
  • Gills: Yellow-orange, decurrent on the stalk
  • Stalk: Orange to yellow-orange, usually curved
  • Annulus: None
  • Spore Print: White

 

See this plant in the following landscape:
Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#mushrooms
 
Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#mushrooms
  • Attributes:
    Genus:
    Omphalotus
    Species:
    olearius
    Family:
    Marasmiaceae
    Country Or Region Of Origin:
    Europe
    Edibility:
    NOT Edible
  • Whole Plant Traits:
    Plant Type:
    Mushroom
    Poisonous
  • Flowers:
    Flower Color:
    Gold/Yellow
    Orange
  • Leaves:
    Hairs Present:
    No
  • Stem:
    Stem Is Aromatic:
    No
  • Landscape:
    Problems:
    Poisonous to Humans
  • Poisonous to Humans:
    Poison Severity:
    High
    Poison Symptoms:
    HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN! Patient experiences severe stomach ache, headache, sweating , nausea, exhaustion, vomiting, bitter taste, salivation and a cold feeling. On set of symptoms is usually 1-3 hours after ingestion. Most patients recover in 5-6 days.
    Poison Toxic Principle:
    Unknown
    Causes Contact Dermatitis:
    No
    Poison Part:
    Fruits
    Stems