- Common Name(s):
- Virginia pine
- 'Wates Golden' - yellow needles, winter intrest
- Native Plants, Trees
A native tree in the Pinaceae family that is not particularly ornamental. The foliage can be used in Christmas decorations. 'Wates Golden' is a cultivar with yellow needles noted for their outstanding winter interest.
Wildlife Value: Seeds are eaten by birds. This tree is resistant to damage by deer.
Insects, Diseases, and Other Plant Problems: No serious insect or disease problems. Some susceptibility to pitch canker.
- 15-40 ft.
- Conifer, 1.5 to 3 in. spiny scaled cones in cluster of 2 to 4; old cones persist
- Sun; will grow in poor, dry soils including clay but prefers sandy loams with moderate to good drainage.
- Broad, open pyramid when young; becomes flat topped; horizontal with age, irregular branches
- Full sun
- Conifer, spiny scaled cones
- 10-30 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Slow to moderate
- 1.5 to 3 in. slightly twisted needles in pairs; often yellow green in winter
NCCES plant id: 2116