- Common Name(s):
- Edible Plants, Wildflowers
Dandelions have many positive features:
- They provide nectar and pollen to honeybees and other beneficial insects, particulaly important in early spring when they are one of the only plants in bloom
- Their leaves, roots and flowers are all editble.
- Their roots can break up compact soils.
- Their seed head is a beautiful puff ball and delights young and old when they blow on it to disperse the seed
- Lobed jagged-edged leaves; 2-20 in. long; hollow stem with milky sap
- Bright yellow multi-petalled flowers in spring, reflexed outer bracts, fluffy globular ball of white seeds
- Roadsides, open fields, and waste places
- Life Cycle:
NCCES plant id: 2754