Prunus salicina 'Methley'
- Common Name(s):
- Methley Japanese plum
- Edible Plants, Trees
This is a heavy bearing variety that will start to produce fruit in 2-4 growing seasons. The early bloosom is easily susceptible to spring frost damage. It is self fertile, but planting two cultivars is recommended. Heat tolerant. The mature size of the tree depends on the version you choose, standard or dwarf.
- 8-10 ft. or 20 ft.
- The white flower blooms early in spring in clusters, with sweet fragrance.
- Full sun. Well-drained, loamy soil.
- The medium to large sized fruit has a purple to red skin. Round to conical in shape. The flesh is red, tastes juicy and sweet. Great for eating fresh and making jelly. Ripens from late May to early June.
- 10 ft. or 20 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Moderate growth rate with 13-24'' per year.
- The elliptic green leaves have fine tooth on the margin.
NCCES plant id: 3000