Diospyros virginiana 'Prok'
- Common Name(s):
- Prok common persimmon
- Edible Plants, Native Plants, Trees
This heavy bearing cultivar is one of the native persimmon trees. It is adaptable to urban environment. Cold hardy. Usually needs both male and female tree to ensure fruit production.
- 30-50 ft.
- The tree is dioecious which male and female flower blooms on different trees. The flower is cream in color and not showy.
- Full sun. Moist and well-drained soil. It is also adaptable to many varieties of soil.
- Prok common persimmon produces large-sized, astringent type fruit. Ripens in mid September to late fall.
- 15-25 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- It features alternate, simple oval-shaped dark green leaves in summer and great red foliage in fall, with serrate leaf margin.
NCCES plant id: 3010