Chrysanthemum Chrysanthemum morifolium
Other plants called Chrysanthemum:
- Phonetic Spelling
- kris-AN-theh-mum mor-ih-FOH-lee-um
Chrysanthemum morifolium is mainly a autumn flowering plant which adds a pop of color to your garden as the leaves start to fall and the colder days start to come. Chrysanthemum morifolium will grow in the summer and spring but does not flower until the autumn. Flowers come in many colors from brownish colors to pastel and vibrant yellows. The flowers can be bi-color and also edged around the petals with another color. Leaves have a curved edge which add to the attractiveness of this plant. This plant can multiply very fast in your garden beds and is certainly not just a potted plant for the autumn. Indeed, you will find this plant next to the scarecrows and calling you to make sure that you add it to your garden. The explosion of color will bring a freshness, as the summer starts to fade and one thinks of hot cocoa and warm winter fires.
Here are a few things to remember:
Cut back three times during the spring and summer, with the last cut on August 15, to encourage bushy, compact growth and prevent spring flowering.
When buying from a store remember to plant in your garden as this is not a one time plant and can come back for you to enjoy for years to come.
Propagation: Division in spring
- Life Cycle:
- Recommended Propagation Strategy:
- Country Or Region Of Origin:
- China, Japan
- Particularly Resistant To (Insects/Diseases/Other Problems):
- rabbit, deer
Whole Plant Traits:
- Plant Type:
- Growth Rate:
- Full sun (6 or more hours of direct sunlight a day)
- Soil Drainage:
- Good Drainage
- NC Region:
- Usda Plant Hardiness Zone:
- 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b
- Flower Color:
- Flower Bloom Time:
- Flower Description:
- Flowers come in many colors from brownish colors to pastel and vibrant yellows. Flowers can bicolor and the petals edged with another color.
- Leaf Color:
- Hairs Present:
- Leaf Description:
- Leaves have a curved edge. Chrysanthemum morifolium will grow in the summer and spring but does not flower until the autumn.
- Stem Color:
- Stem Is Aromatic:
- Landscape Location:
- Resistance To Challenges: