Plant DetailShow Menu

Destroying Angel Amanita virosa/Amanita bisporigera

Other Common Name(s):

Phonetic Spelling
am-ah-NEE-tah vir-OH-sah
This plant has high severity poison characteristics.
See below
Description

Amanita bisporigera (Death Angel) is a 2-spored, smaller species than A. virosa. Both are deadly poisonous. The lag period following initial symptoms is especially dangerous as the patient is lulled into a false sense of security.

The cap is white, smooth, and center may become a dull tannish white with age. The gills are white, not attached to the stalk, and close. The stalk is white, cottony to somewhat pearly, and sometimes with a bulbous base. The annulus is white, large, flaring, persistent, and is located at the top of the stalk, cup-like sheath (volva) at the base of the stalk, and white. The spore print is white.

Found in: Forest or natural area, landscape; singly or in small groups in mixed oak-hardwood conifer forests

 

Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#mushroom#poisonous mushroom#forest mushroom#non-edible mushrooms
 
Cultivars / Varieties:
Tags:
#poisonous#mushroom#poisonous mushroom#forest mushroom#non-edible mushrooms
  • Attributes:
    Genus:
    Amanita
    Species:
    virosa
    Family:
    Amanitaceae
    Country Or Region Of Origin:
    USA, NC
    Distribution:
    Throughout NC
    Edibility:
    NOT EDIBLE!
  • Whole Plant Traits:
    Plant Type:
    Poisonous
  • Leaves:
    Hairs Present:
    No
  • Stem:
    Stem Is Aromatic:
    No
  • Landscape:
    Problems:
    Poisonous to Humans
  • Poisonous to Humans:
    Poison Severity:
    High
    Poison Symptoms:
    HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN! Poisonous through ingestion.(Poison part: mushroom). Symptoms: Symptoms may occur 6-24 hours after eating and include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, which may persist 6-9 hours. Initial symptoms are frequently followed by a lag period up to 24 hours. During this symptomless period, toxins are severely affecting the liver, resulting in gastrointestinal bleeding, coma, kidney failure, and death, usually within 7 days of eating.
    Poison Toxic Principle:
    Unknown
    Causes Contact Dermatitis:
    No
    Poison Part:
    Bark
    Flowers
    Fruits
    Leaves
    Roots
    Seeds
    Stems