This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- Evergreen shrub; leaves alternate, simple, linear; seed axillary, with red, fleshy aril nearly surrounding the green seed
- USA, NC
- Mountains; ornamental
- Poison Part:
- Bark, leaves, seed pit (red, fleshy surrounding part, called the aril, is OK to eat)
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Nervousness, trembling, slow pulse, pupil dilation, difficult breathing, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, convulsions; may be fatal
- EDIBLE PARTS: The red arils, in small amounts, are edible. The green seed is toxic.
- Toxic Principle:
- Alkaloid taxine
- HIGHLY TOXIC, may be fatal if eaten!
- Found in:
- Forest or natural area, rare in mountains; landscape as cultivated ornamental woody shrub
NCCES plant id: 1179