This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Chinese scholar tree, Japanese pagoda, Japanese pagoda tree
- Regent, Pendula
- Poisonous Plants, Trees
Produces light shade; withstands heat, air pollution, and drought; leguminous; good street tree
Previously known as Sophora japonica.Styphnolobium japonicum
- Deciduolus tree; leaves alternate, pinnately divided into 3-8 pairs of leaflets; flowers pea-like in terminal clusters, creamy white and fragrant; fruit a yellow or yellow-brown pod
- 50-70 ft.
- Creamy, fragrant flowers in July, August; long lasting cream colored seed pods
- Sun to partial shade; moist, well drained soil but is adoptable
- Upright; spreading; pendulous branches
- Poison Part:
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- No cases known. Possibly vomiting, diarrhea, excitement, delirium, and coma
- Toxic Principle:
- Alkaloids? Suspected due to close relationship to Mescal bean
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Landscape as cultivated ornamental tree
- 50 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Moderate to rapid
- 6 to 10 in. alternate, pinnately compound leaves; modest yellow fall color
NCCES plant id: 1167