- Common Name(s):
- Japanese umbrella pine, Umbrella pine
Orangish to reddish brown bark exfoliating in strips; often hidden by foliage; branches become pendulous and spreading with age; dense shade when young
- 20-30 ft.
- 2 to 4 in. cones; green turning to brown
- Sun to light shade; prefers rich moist, well drained soil and open location; not drought or air pollution tolerant
- Medium to coarse
- Spire like to broadly pyramidal in youth; straight stem and horizontal branches in whorls; stiff, twiggy
- 15-20 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Whorl of 20 to 30 flat 2 to 5 in. dark glossy green, thick leaves; needle like; radiate around the stem
NCCES plant id: 2193