- Common Name(s):
- Bradford Pear, Callery Pear
- 'Bradford' - most fire blight resistant, 'Aristocrat' - stronger crotches but is fire blight susceptible, 'Whitehouse' - more narrow form, 'Capital' - more narrow form, 'Redspire' - more narrow form, 'Autumn Blaze' - more narrow form
Upright, weak crotches that break with age; easy to transplant; tolerates drought, air pollution, heat; may have thorns.
Wildlife Value: This tree is mildly resistant to damage by deer.
Insects, Diseases and Other Plant Problems: It has some resitance to fireblight. Limb breakage is common due to poor croch angles and it is often a very short-lived tree. This is a weedy to invasive species, that spreads fireblight. consider a different tree.
- 20-40 ft.
- White, flowers in March; unpleasant odor; 0.5 in. rounded brown fruit
- Sun; range of soil types including compacted soil
- Upright, conical shape
- 20-30 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- 1.5 to 3 in. alternate, simple glossy dark green leaves; yellow, scarlet, purple fall color
NCCES plant id: 2151