This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Pin cherry, fire cherry
- Poisonous Plants
- Deciduous tree; leaves alternate, simple, long-pointed, toothed on the margin, with 2 small glands at base of blade; flowers 2-5 in a rounded cluster, each 5-parted, white; fruit fleshy, red, with a large pit (stone)
- USA, NC
- Poison Part:
- Wilted leaves, twigs (stems), seeds
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Gasping, weakness, excitement, pupil dilation, spasms, convulsions, coma, respiratory failure
- EDIBLE PARTS: Fruits are used for jelly or syrup. Boil down in small amount of water, strain, and add sugar to taste.
- Toxic Principle:
- Cyanogenic glycoside, amygdalin
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Deciduous forest or natural area, weedy in disturbed areas
NCCES plant id: 1137