- Common Name(s):
- Mugo pine, Swiss mountain pine
Tremendous variation in size; normally does not produce a tap root so is easy to transplant. This tree is resistant to damage by deer.
- 15-20 ft.
- 1 to 2 in. erect cones; matures to gray black; many occur in clusters of 3 or 4
- 2 to 8a
- Sun to partial shade; deep, moist, well drained soil; tolerates clay
- Variable; usually low broad spreading and bushy
- 25-30 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- 1 to 2 in. rigid, medium to dark green needles in pairs; curved; may become yellow green in winter
NCCES plant id: 2100