This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Java bean, lima bean
- Poisonous Plants
- These plump, colored beans can be distinguished from the common lima bean or navy bean by distinct lines radiating from the scar at the center of the inner curved side
- Poison Part:
- Raw beans (seeds) and roots of ornamental varieties
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- These proteins have antinutritional effects, suppressing growth, and may be fatal.
- EDIBLE PARTS: Toxicity is only partially destroyed by cooking; therefore do not cook the ornamental, striped beans grown for the flowers and foliage
- Toxic Principle:
- Hemagglutinins or lectins
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Landscape cultivated as an ornamental
NCCES plant id: 1118