Ilex x attenuata 'Fosteri'
- Common Name(s):
- Foster's Holly
- 'Savannah' fast grower, good berry production, 'Foster No. 2' darker green, narrow leaves, 'East Palatka' spines on end of leaf, 'Hume No. 2' small leaves
Hybrid between I. cassine and I. opaca.
Wildlife Value: Fruits are attractive to birds. Flowers attract bees. Members of the genus Ilex support the following specialized bee: Colletes banksi. This tree is mildly resistant to damage by deer.
- 20-30 ft.
- Heavy berry production; persists into winter
- Sun to partial shade; range of soil types
- Medium to fine
- Upright; pyramidal; compact
- 7-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- 1.5-3 in. alternate, simple leaf with spiny points
NCCES plant id: 2009