- Common Name(s):
- Japanese holly
- Convexa, Helleri, Hetzii, Stokes
Drought tolerant; flowers attract bees; can severely prune to control height; many cultivars available; Growth rate: slow. This plant is mildly resistant to damage by deer.
- 10-12 ft.
- Alternate, simple, dark green leaves; 0.5-1.3 in. long; crowded on stems
- Small, dull, greenish white flowers in spring; 0.2 in. black berry-like drupe fall to spring
- Sun to partial shade; prefers moist, well-drained, acidic soil
- Dense, multi-branched shrub; rounded or semi-globular
- 3-5 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1589