Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis
- Common Name(s):
- Honey locust, Honeylocust, Thornless common honeylocust
- 'Summer Lace'
Casts light shade; fine leaves result in ease of leaf clean up in fall; easy to transplant
Wildlife Value: This tree is resistant to damage by deer.
Play Value Wildlife Enhancement
Insects, Diseases, and Other Plant Problems: Borers and webworms may be problems. Honey locusts are susceptible to leaf spot, canker, witches’ broom, powdery mildew and rust.
Compare this plant to: Gleditsia triacanthos
- 30-70 ft.
- Greenish yellow fragrant flowers in summer; 7-8 in. reddish brown seed pods
- Sun; range of soil types; drought tolerant
- Graceful; short trunk; open spreading crown
- 30-40 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- 6-8 in. alternate, pinnately or bipinnately compound leaves; bright green summer foliage; yellow to yellow-green fall color
NCCES plant id: 2003