This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- A woody, branched, very spiny shrub with milky latex; leaves few, smooth-margined; the cup-shaped "flowers" located just above 2, broad, scarlet bracts
- Poison Part:
- All parts
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Ingestion, dermatitis
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea when ingested; redness, swelling, blisters after some delay following contact with skin
- Toxic Principle:
- Diterpene esters in milky latex
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN. SKIN IRRITATION MINOR OR LASTING ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES. CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape
NCCES plant id: 1046