- Common Name(s):
- Alternate leaf butterfly bush
Drought tolerant; prune after flowering; remove one-third of oldest stems; this plant is seldom damaged by deer. Attracts butterflies.
- 10-20 ft.
- Alternate, simple, dull gray leaves; 1.5-4 in. long; narrow toward apex; grayish-white tomentum beneath; yellow fall color
- Bright, lilac-purple flowers in dense clusters in summer; produced on previous season's growth; mild fragrance
- 5 to 7
- Sun to light shade; prefers loose, organic-rich soil; tolerates some drought and clay soil
- Medium to fine
- Lax, long, arching, pendulous stems
- 8-10 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1426