- Common Name(s):
- Empress tree, Princess tree
Brittle wood; messy, weedy tree; produces dense shade making it difficult to grow plants underneath; withstands air pollution and coastal conditions;
- 30-50 ft.
- 8-12 in. panicles of pale violet with dark spots and yellow stripes; vanilla scented; 1-2 in. messy fruit
- Sun to partial shade; tolerates a range of soils but prefers moist, deep, well-drained soil
- Spreading; rounded, dense crown
- 20-30 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- 5-10 in. opposite, simple leaves
NCCES plant id: 2066