- Common Name(s):
- Japanese maple cultivars, Japanese maple
- Shrubs, Trees
Young leaves are sensitive to frost; not drought tolerant; most cultivars are grafted; can be grown as single or multistemmed small tree; may suffer leaf scorch with excess sun, wind, or drought
- 15-25 ft.
- Opposite, simple 2 to 5 in. leaves; most are deeply lobed; color varies with cultivar
- Small red to purple flowers; attractive if viewed closely but insignificant from a distance
- Light, dappled shade; evenly moist, well-drained soil; protect from drying winds
- Medium to fine
- Low; dense, rounded top; spreading branches; assumes a layered look
- 10-25 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Slow to moderate
- 2 to 5 in. opposite, simple leaf with 5 to 9 lobes; green during summer; yellow, bronze, purple to red fall color
NCCES plant id: 1401